VS2008 and .NET 3.5 SP1 Success
Well, I’m 1/4 now upgrading the VMs to SP1. The “one” that worked is the one I least expected.
A simple VM used for a basic web project. C#, Web Developer Tools installed—not even joined to the network. No “hotfixes” were installed, but I ran the tool anyway just to be sure. It chugged for a while and then threw an exception. Feeling daring, I went ahead and tried to upgrade to SP1 and it didn’t even detect Visual Studio or .NET 3.5. Hah.
A prototyping VM that I copy web apps onto to run and test—nothing major, just VS2008, C#, web test tools, etc. This one did have SP1 beta on it that I was dinking with as well as various Silverlight tools. The patch removal tool worked just fine. After a reboot, the SP1 installation got about 20% complete then McAfee (mcshield.exe) threw about 70 exceptions all at once and flooded the task bar. The system then BSOD’d and reboot. I tried another couple times to install SP1 (I can’t disable McAfee, ePO prevents it) with no success.
This VM provides a test system for our customers to connect to, evaluate applications, and such. VS2008 and .NET 3.5 (no SP1 beta) was installed more for convenience than anything else. The system isn’t in use for the next few weeks, so worth a shot on this one. I didn’t run the patch removal tool (perhaps that was my mistake) on this workstation and proceeded with installing SP1. About 80% through the installation, devenv.exe crashed and asked to be debugged—of course, when I tried to debug, it crashed. Hah.
This is the one that worked; however, it’s the oddest, most broken of the bunch. It’s had SP1 beta on it, various MVC preview builds, Astoria, bunches of Silverlight tools as well as various libraries and code bunches I have for newsgroup and forum posts. The patch removal tool found a bunch of stuff and remove it without any issues. After the reboot, SP1 installed (took about 45 minutes) and the system reboot.
And it works…
I still have a few VMs left to dink with and plan to throw it on my development workstation later this week after I wrap up a few projects and have some down time (I had planned to rebuild the entire workstation anyway—so good opportunity).
I hope, after I find some basic installation method, to have time to dig in to the features…